Sunday, April 15, 2007

A rare dove I saw?


I do not know if this was the birds I saw. But I am sure the ones I saw on the evening of 28th March were not the usual birds that I will see in Hougang.

Like the Jambu Fruit Dove in the picture, the birds I saw outside Hougang Mall (precise location was the tree directly outside Hans) have bright green plumage. That was what that captured my attention because I have never seen birds of these kind or come across them in my birds guidebook (I shall check for it again when I'm free). There were about 4-5 of them when I saw them flying away from that tree. But because I was a distance away from the tree (diagonally opposite to be exact), I did not have a close-up view to try to identify them.

I have also seen them on another occasion, athough I can't remember where I was then now.
Upon yahoo-ing, I found that the dove have been sighted on this island before.

Some of the places include:

From SBWR's checklist of birds in 2006, this dove was recorded as a rare resident of the mangrove.

Here is a nice close-up picture of the rare dove from ClubSNAP photography.

No comments: